Monday, March 11, 2013

Landscape Painting - Revisions

Hey all. I know I've been a bit lax re the blog but never fear I am still here.

My minds been full of painting lately, I've been on a revision kick sparked by some keen insights regarding my use of photo reference, composition and interest. 

I'll be writing quite a few posts about these revisions I've been doing in the near future. Today I'm going to talk about this painting "Twilight Ember".

"Twilight's Ember"  (12x16) by M Francis McCarthy

I'm quite pleased with this painting now. I completed it last week.

Below I'm showing the 5x7 sketch that is very similar to Twilight Ember's first color stage. After I painted the color layer on the 12x16 version, I was not as happy with my motif, the sky, the tightness of my tree drawing or the grassy field.

Many of these problem areas are only suggested by the 5x7 shown here. 

At the small size I wasn't aware that I had any issues really. 12x16 is much bigger though and after my first color layer it was apparent that I was going to have a blah painting on my hands unless I made some changes.

Summer Pastuire (12x16) by M Francis McCarthy

Here's what I did:

  • The sky was a nice transition from grey to peachy, but it was what I call "tubey" meaning that the spaces between clouds were to regular and not varied enough. I repainted the sky with an interesting glowing sunset going all the way up into a deep dusky grey blue.
  • I removed that tree in the middle so I could install a better focal point in the space created.
  • I completely did a 180 on the view. previously the sun was on the trees, now it is behind.
  • I painted in a little brook where before there were only grasses. I feel like the scene would benefit from a higher horizon but I kind of like the uniqueness of the viewpoint as is.
  • I created dark foliage in front of the trees on the right. I did this to help direct the viewers eye and create more mystery.
All in all I'm happy. It's not perfect but I enjoy looking at it far more now and I feel that it's over all a satisfying painting.

I hope you are getting something from this breakdown and that it helps you to look at your own work with that important critical eye. 

Don't be afraid to tear a painting down and rebuild it if there are apparent issues in it. You may utterly mess it up but there's no real  limit to how many times you can rework it if you need to.

Cheers,



No comments:

Post a Comment